Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Back of the Line Lady!

This morning, I went to my local dinner to grab my regular breakfast: toasted tomato on whole-wheat bread. I'd placed my order and my bread was toasting when a woman in her 70s or 80s walked in. Even as I'm still talking to the woman behind the counter about my order, the elderly woman walks up to the counter and begins to place hers. "A small coffee and a toasted bagel with jam and butter on the side" she says over both the cook's and my voices. I can see the cook's dilemma, she wants to be polite to the old woman but she doesn't want to be rude to me. She compromises by nodding at me and then turning to the old woman who is saying "I'll pay now, and then you can bring it over to me." This is a lunch counter, not a restaurant. There is no table service in this establishement yet that doesn't seem to bother this woman. Now my toast is ready and the woman continues to explain in detail how she wants butter and jam "on the side". "Yeah, we heard you lady!" I shout in exasparation. Okay, that's not true, I said nothing at all. But know this: I wanted to shout it because I really didn't want my toast getting cold. The cook grabs my toast and brings it over to the counter. She's about to make my sandwich when the old woman starts to hand her money over. Keep in mind that the cook hasn't yet entered the woman's order - she's not even standing close to the register. She's standing in front of my toast where she belongs! Again, conflicted, the cook leaves my toast cooling on the counter and goes back to the lady who is about to drop her change on the floor if no one takes it from her. Again, she repeats her toasted bagel order. Now, clearly flummoxed, the cook pours a small cup of coffee which she hands to the woman before going back to the counter to slice and toast her bagel. All the while my toast sits abandoned on the counter. The old lady continues to explain to the woman behind the counter about how she can bring her "on the sides" and her "bagel" to her when she's done and heads slowly off to her seat. I'm aware that it isn't easy for this woman to move and that she requires a cane to walk over to her seat. I know she's lived a long life and probably deserves her breakfast before I do. But at the same time, aren't we Canadians? Are we not famous the world over for our respect of the queue? Don't we grow up with the ingrained understanding that if someone is in front of you, you must wait politely for your turn? Is this not the foundation of our society? I debate explaining this to her but decide against it for two reasons: 1) She might not hear me anyway; 2) Maybe her eyes are going and she just didn't see me in the first place.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have pushed the old bag out the door and taken her toast and coffee and side dishes too. I hate old people too.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home