Thursday, February 10, 2005

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

The storm had left yesterday's sidewalks a mess of snow and given the virtual carpet of shit that lay underneath, I decided not to walk to work and opted for the TTC instead. The TTC - my chariot and the thorn in my side. I bought tokens on the way in and after I'd handed over a 10 dollar bill, the transit worker pushed his little magic button and the tokens came down the shoot. Ten of them. Ten tokens for 10 dollars? That's not right. Now, these are the situations where even I falter. I can give back the tokens and "do the right thing", or I can keep them and enjoy the delicious feeling of having gotten away with 5 free tokens. There was a line behind me so I had to decide quickly. I took the moral high ground, pocketed my 5 tokens, and attempted to hand the others back to the attendant, "you gave me too many" I said. I was greeted with a total blank stare. "You gave me ten tokens" I repeated and was rewarded with an "uh?" Now, I have a choice to make, I can take the tokens back which will serve him right for his total lack of comprehension, or I can just walk away. Neither option felt right. Here I was, doing the honest thing and instead of being recognized and applauded for my integrity, I'm being stared at as though I've suddenly sprouted antlers. I dropped a token in the slot and returned 4 tokens to him. I figure that an honest soul, such as I clearly am, deserved at least one free ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home