Monday, May 16, 2005

Drive, She Said

I’m a big supporter of public transit. I’ve never owned a car, and most of the time, I’m happy about that. It allows me to feel superior whenever I see a report about carbon emissions. And yet, every once in awhile, I have access to a car, and for that brief moment, I can appreciate the freedom and convenience a car can provide, and I like it. My parents are still off in Europe, walking 500 miles, so we’ve taken advantage of their car for running errands, buying plants, and getting around. This Friday, we met up after work and headed home via a familiar route. We’ve walked home this way and have traveled this road countless times in the back seat of a taxi. The route winds through a beautiful residential neighbourhood where only the very wealthy live. Huge, old homes line the streets and, in a few weeks, a tall canopy of green will make it even more pleasant. We know this route and we like it. It’s peaceful to head off the main avenues of Toronto and drive through a section that fills us with fantasies of what our lives will be like as soon as we win the lottery.

This was the first time we’d driven there, though. As we drove along, Mr. T noticed a sign that said, “No Through Traffic” and scoffed “Yeah right, watch me. How would they know, anyway?” We laughed and drove on along the quiet residential street. We turned the corner and arrived at a three-way stop. There was a lot of commotion at the intersection. Some bozo had decided to pull a u-turn and it was holding everyone up. We watched him in frustration thinking of his arrogance in forcing everyone to wait while he did his thing. As we waited to turn east, I noticed a man heading in our direction, waving. “Why is that guy waving at us?” I wondered aloud. “He’s probably just waving at someone else,” was Mr. T’s response. Hmm.

We turned the corner and started to make our way east. Within milliseconds, we spotted the cause of all the commotion. A police car was parked in the opposite lane, it’s officer out, waving us over to the side of the road. Everything suddenly made sense: the sign, the bozo, the wave. “So, that’s how they know!” exclaimed Mr. T as he pulled out his license and registration and lowered the window. Apparently, there are no right turns between 4PM-6PM. Only wrong turns. As we pulled away from our brush with the law, we reflected on the joys of public transit and plain old walking. Sometimes, you get stuck. Sometimes, you get soaked. But it rarely costs you ninety dollars. Thank you, officer. Thank you for reminding me that I haven’t got it so bad after all.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A couple years ago I was riding my bike in a cold drizzle. I came upon a stoplight at an abandoned intersection on the edge of town. I stopped. And waited. And got wetter. And got colder. And waited. The light didn't turn. Colder, wetter, brrr, no green, colder, wetter, brrr....

Finally, after judiciously looking both ways twice, I decided to cross the intersection.

An amazingly fat cop appeared out of thin air and wrote me a ticket for running a red light. To no avail, I tried to distract him by pointing out the jaywalkers.

So yeah, don't drive, don't even ride your bike. Ahem, or I guess one could obey the laws o' the land -- but what fun is that?

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find myself growing misty over the recent lack of ms. t.
c'ecil

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think that could give you some Search Engine popularity, and traffic???

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy to find another site with information on water ponds
.

I have a newsletter that I like to share information about websites I find that are about water gardening. I will be sure to mention you.

I hope that you will pay me a visit as well.

Thanks,
Thomas Holley
Water-Garden-Directory.com

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Ring ,where you disappeared? Call to me fast!
- www.blogger.com 4
spaghetti alla carbonara

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want such sites to become as much as possible, and their number increased with every day!
- titswiggling.blogspot.com v
07 car civic honda
buy used car
car undefined used
used car bergen
used car oakland
used car greensboro
used car raleigh
used car killeen
used car vallejo
used car tacoma

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work guys. Good resources here, very useful. Your web site is helpful. I will bookmark!
- www.blogger.com u
http://mosquitoringtone1.4x2.net mosquito ringtone
http://freenokiaringtone1.4x2.net free nokia ringtone
http://freeverizonringtone1.4x2.net free verizon ringtone
http://mp3ringtone1.4x2.net mp3 ringtone
http://nokiaringtone1.4x2.net nokia ringtone
http://freemotorolaringtone1.4x2.net free motorola ringtone
http://freemp3ringtone1.4x2.net free mp3 ringtone
http://samsungringtone1.4x2.net samsung ringtone
http://freepolyphonicringtone1.4x2.net free polyphonic ringtone
http://britneyspearsringtone1.4x2.net britney spears ringtone

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

texas used rv sales

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must thank you for the efforts you've put in penning this blog. I am hoping to check out the same high-grade blog posts by you later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my own, personal blog now ;)

Look into my weblog ... kliknij

4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home